Here’s a roundup of the weekend’s motorsport action from September 1-2, 2018:
Formula 1 – Belgian Grand Prix:
- At the iconic Spa-Francorchamps circuit, Lewis Hamilton secured a dominant victory for Mercedes, extending his championship lead over Sebastian Vettel.
- Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas finished in second place, while Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel completed the podium in third.
NASCAR – Bojangles’ Southern 500:
- At Darlington Raceway, Brad Keselowski emerged victorious in the NASCAR Cup Series’ throwback-themed event, the Bojangles’ Southern 500.
- Keselowski’s win marked his first victory at Darlington and secured his spot in the playoffs.
IndyCar – Portland Grand Prix:
- In the IndyCar Series, Takuma Sato claimed victory at the Portland Grand Prix, marking his first win of the season.
- Sato’s win came after a thrilling battle with Ryan Hunter-Reay and Sebastien Bourdais in the closing laps of the race.
MotoGP – British Grand Prix:
- In motorcycle racing, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone was canceled due to unsafe track conditions caused by heavy rain.
- The decision to cancel the race came after several riders experienced crashes during practice sessions and raised concerns about the track’s surface.
WRC – Rally Turkey:
- The World Rally Championship ventured to Turkey for the Rally Turkey, where Sebastien Ogier secured victory, extending his lead in the championship standings.
- Ogier’s win came after a grueling and challenging event, with rough terrain and high temperatures testing the drivers and their cars to the limit.
Overall, it was an action-packed weekend of motorsport, with thrilling races and unexpected twists keeping fans on the edge of their seats. From Formula 1 to NASCAR, IndyCar to WRC, the weekend delivered excitement and drama across the globe.